Waking up from apocalyptic doomsday nightmares is probably not a great way to start the day, but sometimes the murky subconscious wants what it wants. However, what a sweet turnaround to find out I’ve been nominated for a Liebster Award by fellow blogger Jessie Frost. These awards are a way to foster community between bloggers and call one another’s attention to good stuff we may have been missing.
The Rules Are:
The Liebster Award is awarded to bloggers with under 200 followers to try to promote their blog a little and also bring together a community of bloggers. The rules of the competition are as follows:
•The nominated user must provide a link back to the person who nominated them.
•Provide 11 facts about yourself.
•Answer 11 questions sent by the person who nominated you.
•Choose 11 more people and ask them 11 questions.
11 Facts about Myself:
(some of this might be redundant to some of you, and news to some of my newer followers)
1. I’m a part Cuban/part Irish girl from old-skool Hell’s Kitchen. (Yep, I’m older than I look and probably act, but still younger than Baron Von Swine. And if you don’t know who that is, you ain’t from Hell’s Kitchen!)
2. I have schizoaffective disorder v. depressive features & PTSD, that’s why I blog about mental health stuff.
3. I’m left handed.
4. I’m a cartoonist and a painter and an experimental noise musician and sometimes a writer and do stuff with collage and photos and I think artists’ creative pursuits should be more delineated because niche creativity can be stifling and also this is a lot of stuff to list.
5. I’m a Thelemite.
6. I’m married to a very brilliant and beautiful Alsatian drummer, who was born with a physical disability due to a birth trauma. That coupled with my mental illness make us NOT YOUR INSPIRATION PORN, though we do make beautiful music together. And by “beautiful” I mean “alarming, dissonant and cacophanous”.
7. Our rats and cats live together in a harmony the norms would likely think unnatural and unholy, but I think our rats and cats are way better than most people.
8. I’m a feminist. Intersectional, not bullshit.
9. I’m a vegetarian. I feel better this way, but I also acknowledge this isn’t everybody else’s choice. So spare me the cracks about “People Eating Tasty Animals” and I’ll spare you the talk of pink slime and ammonia in meat processing. However, if you try to claim to me that vegetarianism is some sort of “privilege issue” by claiming it’s “more expensive” or “takes more time to cook” I’ll just write you off as a spoiled brat who’s never cooked for yourself or done a weekly budget without Mumsy and Dadsy holding your widdle hand.
10. This is because not only do me and my husband survive primarily on fixed disability incomes, but I also cook for my elderly Abuelita several times a week. She’s a 95 year old Cuban woman who has eaten meat all her life and I prepare the things she likes for her. I’d say cost and preparation time is about the same.
11. For the 11th fact, I have this quirk of always liking to use washer number 11 at the corner laundromat.
11 Questions for Me from Jessiee
1. What do you imagine your spirit totem animal is and why? It’s a rat. I’ve always been drawn to them. Many people fear them but they are cute, loving and snuggly and incredibly adaptable to circumstances.
2. If your life had a theme song what would it be? It would be several minutes of screaming but in various keys while ball bearings are poured into an oil drum lined with contact mikes they could ping off of. Then an abrupt silence periodically interrupted by a pure sounding chime. A low drone would begin barely audible and then rise in volume till it meets with a crescendo of shattering glass. Childlike laughter ends it.
3. If you could cast someone to play you in a film remake of your life, who would it be?
I’d want it to be an interpretation of circumstances in my life performed by artist Gina Pane in a series of extreme art actions.She’s dead, you say? So’s this film project. Those braindead Hollywood suits were trying to compromise my creative vision from the moment I proposed the theme song.
4. What is your hidden talent that you would share if you could?
Huh? Hiding talents?
5. What is your biggest fear?
I covered that in a recent post. Having to hide talents sounds pretty scary too.
6. Why do you blog?
I think it’s a good horizontal platform to share art and worldviews that are not “commercially viable with current marketing trends” or whatever.
7. How do you think others see you? How would you like others to see you?
It depends who. Some people hate me some people like me. I’d like them to see me as myself, not a projection, a pawn, and extension, or anything else.
8. If you met yourself at a party, do you think you would be instant friends, or it would take time to get to know you?
If I met myself at a party I’d be all “Hey poser! Cut that shit out cuz you’ll never be me!”
9. Who would you most like to meet, alive or dead, from any time?
10. What is your favourite thing to eat and drink?
Add a bit of apple cider vinegar to cooking or to a glass of water, it adds a nice flavor and has health benefits.
11. What is the next big thing you want to achieve in your life?
We have a performance coming up later this month and I have a reading in June. I’d like to publish a graphic novel of my comic Living In La La Land.And create a bunch of sound pieces based on the Tarot.
11 People I Want to Nominate:
Ok, I know that’s one shy of 11, but I just realized the time…so, umm, I’m gonna cheat…if you want to participate, just answer the same questions I did?